Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Thinking of Baba

I'm afraid there's not a lot of fun in the blog today.  Minxi's father, who is in his 80's is in the hospital right now.  About a week ago he started throwing wild high fevers at night.  He's been through two bouts of cancer and has never really fully recovered from the flu he had this spring shortly after I visited.

Minxi kept him at home for about two days then decided she needed help.  I'm not really sure that the hospital is doing much good, I get weird responses when I ask my Chinese friends how Chinese hospitals work.   At least Minxi is not alone right now.  There are other people at the hospital and she has a niece and a nephew staying with her.

Sometimes, Minxi and I feel very close even though we are far apart.  We talk at least once a day on Skype and often it feels very homey.  I'm making dinner, she's telling me about who she had lunch with.  Right now though, I can hear the tired and the scared in her voice and I can't get to her.  I'm so glad she and her father have been close for so many years, and I wouldn't want to take her away from him right now, but what I wouldn't give to be able to hop a plane and go be with them right now.

I don't know what Baba's personal beliefs are like, you don't just discuss such things over dinner in China, but please think about him and her.  In happier times Baba welcomed guests into the front room of his 2nd son's house and introduced me to them as his new son.  He's been through so much in his life.  I was so honored to be welcomed by such a great man.  I just wish I could be there for them now.

Good luck Minxi.  Good luck Baba.


No comments: