Sunday, February 19, 2012

Day #1 Victoria Harbor

Victoria Harbor, what can I say:

Victoria Harbor with Chinese Junk

Victoria harbor hong kong

Victoria Harbor Hong Kong

victoria harbor in the fog

I woke up again around 6:00 and, not wanting to wake Minxi I made my way south from our hotel to Victoria Harbor.  I didn't know where I was going but figured I could start my tour of Hong Kong by myself. 

I hadn't smelled sea air in many years and the mist shrouded harbor with its strange combination of high rise buildings and sea going junks captured my heart at once.  There is a long, two story esplanade directly behind the Hong Kong art museum that runs roughly from the star Ferry Pier on the West to the Hong Kong Avenue of Stars on the East.   These photos were taken there.  

Victoria Harbor was the reason the British settled in Hong Kong in the first place.  It provided safe haven for the ships of the fleet just as it now lies in the cradle of the great city.  If you ever need a moments peace from the wild hub bub of Hong Kong, you can do no better than a stroll down the causeways that line the harbor.  The air is salty the sea is green and despite the mountains of buildings and constantly passing ships, the waves still roll at exactly the right speed for the birds to glide between them.

After 24 hours of air travel, stewardesses, in flight movies.  I was ready for the green swell of ocean water.  Hong Kong had begun its work on my heart.

1 comment:

iffatali said...

Would that life were like the shadow cast by a wall or a tree, but it is like the shadow of a bird in flight.Flights to Johannesburg